Eyjafjallajokull. Yes. Eyjafjallajokull. That is the name of volcano which caused the ongoing flying nightmare for transatlantic and European travelers because of the impenetrable ash cloud . The cloud has left thousands of travelers stranded in airports for an indefinite amount of time. I was recently stranded in New York for a mere 24 hours which was absolutely horrible. I simply can’t imagine what the people who have been stranded for days have gone through. As a tribute to them, I have compiled a short list of tips for the traveler stranded in the airport.
- Stay positive – I know, I know – so cliché, but your negative attitude won’t make the plane arrive any faster
- Stay sane – being stranded can be surprisingly detrimental to one’s psyche, do a sudoku or better yet, read a mystery about sudoku!
- Make friends – chances are there are plenty of other travelers in your same boat, (well plane technically) so try to make friends with someone since you’ll be stuck with these people for a while
- Play a game – don’t rely on that crossword to keep you occupied the whole time – make a scavenger hunt, or play hide-and-seek in the airport
- Look on the bright side – now that you’re stuck at some destination, you can spend even more time in wherever you are; go out and see the sites – take a day trip to the city or go to a museum to pass the time
Now hopefully, you’ll never be at the mercy of some ash cloud-belching, 16-lettered, Icelandic volcano which is keeping you trapped in some airport. But, if you are, hopefully you’ll survive using these tips.
— Patrick, 17, Teen Center Advisor