3-Sentence Summary: Emma and Josh, two high school students from the year 1996, discover their future Facebook pages in a strange AOL accident. The two were close friends for a long time, until a rift 6 months before– and the unexpected future becomes their only means of mending the past. Fifteen years later, it would seem that fortune does not favor Emma, and she sets out on a quest to change her fate; on the other hand, Josh receives a life more fantastic than he dared to dream, and plans to secure his destiny.
Six word review: Another reason to hate social media.
1. I started reading because . . . I love Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler as individual writers, and was curious to read their collaboration. I kept reading because Josh is a compelling character, if a bit of an archetype.
2. Star Rating: 6. The premise was unique and the writing was decent, but the story was simply not strong enough for me to suspend disbelief.
3. I loved: the concept & the chapter division. I hated: the predictability of the plot & characters.
4. If the lead characters were in a high school yearbook, they would be voted:
Most Reliable: Josh Templeton
Biggest Flirt: Emma Nelson
5. On a deserted island: Emma Nelson would probably still try to access Facebook. Josh Templeton would probably doodle in the sand with a stick until rescue came.
6. What else you got?
7. PSA: If your Facebook posts resemble those of future Emma Nelson, you are posting way too much information of the mundane and overly personal varieties. Please stop.
–Maddie, Teen Center Adviser